Thursday 27 November 2008

Dog Agility

Last week Lilly and I ventured out to the next village to "tryout" for the Club.

Of the dogs there I think that Lilly did very well. no constant barking or trying to get to the other dogs.

the first test was just to walk in a large circle with the other dogs that we did fine. Until they asked me to take the head collar off. I use the head collar to stop her from pulling. We then had to get the dogs to lie down and stay while we walked to the end of the lead. This Lilly can do but not with everything going on around her. She just wanted to know where I was going!

The next task was to weave through the dogs to find out if they would react to the them. This we did fine, if not for a little pulling and because she was pulling she was putting pressure on her neck, when she finish pulling she coughed, I was asked if my dog always coughed like that! I did think it was a silly question as I had been there for at least 20 minutes and she had only just started to cough after I had taken the head collar off. Anyway Lilly ignored the other dogs while they walked passed her. At one point she was even watching the other dogs actually doing the agility course.

We then had to do the "sit, stay and come" this was all while another dog was playing half way along the course. Lilly sat, she stayed (for a little while), When I looked over my shoulder she walked a little towards me. So I made her sit again and walked quicker to the point. Then called her.

The finial test was the tunnel. She had to be held by the trainer and I had to go to the other side of the tunnel , it was only set to about a foot long, and call her. when she realised where I was she came sprinting through.

At one point we were told to take out our toy and play with the dog. Well Lilly's favourite toy is a ball. I was then informed that a ball was the best toy to bring as it did not allow you to interact with the dog.

So with all that I have been told about what would be expected:
  • I have to teach Lilly to walk on the left side and not just the right.
  • I have to teach her that playing tug with me is more fun than a ball.

I have found a tug toy for a pound! and I have brought two books;

Expert Obedience Training for Dogs by Winifred G. Strickland. - I find this book quite amusing, it was written in the 60s but updated for the changes to the American regulations. But if any of you watch Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer) i contradict some of the stuff that he says. So I will try to keep him in mind when I read this book as I think he has the dogs best interest at heart.

The beginner's Guide to Dog Agility - this book is fun and even tells you how to make some of your own jumps.


We Lilly and I have started to do lead work after we exercise and we seem to be getting used to walking on the left but it is still early days.

No comments: